Sunday, July 22, 2012

Full Term!

Well we made it to full term finally! They say at this point if he comes he should be ok :) That is good news because he might be coming sooner than expected! When I went in to the doctors a few weeks ago, they did an ultrasound to measure his weigh and check his position. He was only 5 lbs at the time when he should should have been more like 6-61/2 lbs. I was nervous as to why he was so small, but the doctor reassured me that is was probably just genetics. He did say that he would rather have him here around 38 weeks so I can start plumping him up on my own. The ultrasound also showed that he was still breached, and my doctor wanted to go ahead and try to flip him doing an external cephalic version, or version for short. We scheduled it for Wednesday so Austin could be there to support me.

When we arrived at the hospital Wednesday, I told the nurse I was there for the version. She was so smiley and just kept saying how cute I looked, and that soon I would have a little baby to take home with me. I was a little confused at her remarks, but soon realized the hospital thought that I was having a C-section that night if they couldn't flip him the first time. I sort of panicked because my doctor hadn't told me anything about a C-section, and I was definitely not prepared to have a baby that night! Luckily it was all a big misunderstanding. Still that sent my nerves through the roof, and I was starting to question whither I should be doing this or not. Austin really helped calm me down, and told me to just listen to my heart and do what I thought was best for me and the baby. I knew I needed to at least try the version, so we proceeded to get all ready. They got me all hooked up, and noticed that I was having a lot of big contractions. The nurse was so surprised that I wasn't affected by them. I mean I could feel my stomach tightening up every now and then, but they weren't painful. She decided to check me before the doctor came, and to our surprise I was already 3/4 cm dilated and 80% effaced. I was a little surprised seeing as two days before I was only a 1! The nurse was all excited that I might be having this baby tonight! Again I started to panic a little because again I was not prepared for this! After giving me a shot to relax my uterus, the doctor came to do the version. He did an ultrasound to check where Paxton's head and butt were, and then proceeded to push on my stomach to get his cute little butt out of my pelvic area. All the sudden I could feel him moving around and then the doctor said, ok it's done! I was shocked at how fast and painless it went! I had heard so many bad stories, and got myself so worked up that I was so surprised at the whole process. The doctor and nurses all said it was probably one of the fastest, and easiest versions they had ever done so I was felt extremely lucky! The kept me for another hour just to monitor things, and checked me one more time to make sure I wasn't dilated even more. I wasn't so they sent us packing.

I now have doctor appointments and ultrasounds twice a week to keep a close eye on our little guy. I am so glad he flipped, and can't believe we are so close to meeting him! I really have been so blessed throughout this pregnancy, and can finally see the finish line in sight! Hopefully the next time I blog it will be about meeting our little boy :D

1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear that you got that boy flipped!! Things always seem so scary & intense when you have a little body to also worry about. Hope we get to see him in the next week!! GOOD LUCK:)

    ReplyDelete